Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anna Wintour: The REAL Devil Wears PRADA


Anna Wintour, the Editor in Chief of VOGUE is quite intriguing to me! I watched a documentary on her tonight and while I knew of her, I found out so much more about this fashion journalist queen. This may be old news to many of you but it was interesting to be reminded of her and her role in the ever changing fashion world.

In case you did not know, The Devil Wears PRADA was based on her (Maryl Streep played her "fictional" character") and interestingly enough, TDWP was written by a past personal assistant of Anna Wintour - so it's pretty safe to say that much of what is in the movie is accurate! Even when it comes to her famous and oh so fabulous real life office at VOGUE!!


She is known for her cold demeanor and black sunglasses which she always wears at fashion shows. She said she wears them to hide if she is bored at a show or loving what she sees! She likes to keep people guessing! While she doesn't seem all warm and fuzzy, I have to hand it to her, she is one heck of a lady! She over sees the details of EVERY aspect of the magazine! Working for a magazine myself, I know that this can be exhausting!! Of course she has ALL the help she could ever need, but ultimately she has the last say in everything that goes into VOGUE and that is a lot of responsibility! But she does it, and she does it well, I mean who doesn't LOVE VOGUE?!?!

She's also a walking example of VOGUE as she is dressed to a "T" from head to toe everyday when she goes to work! While she has been criticized for this, I think it's cool and shows that she takes her job seriously. It wouldn't look right if she showed up in jeans and a t-shirt everyday when what she does day in and day out is live, breath and write fashion!!

{via thewrap.com}

As I watched the documentary on her tonight, I learned a few interesting facts:
  • She's from London
  • She was not very good when it came to academics and dropped out of school at age 15 (wow! still can't believe this one!!)
  • She is divorved with 2 kids. They are grown now! (Again similiar to Meryl Streeps character in TDWP!)
  • She's been the Editor in Chief at VOGUE for over 20 years!
  • Her father was in publishing and was the editor of a popular news paper in London
  • Growing up she was one of 4 siblings, and had an older brother who died in a traffic accident when they were young
  • She began wearing her hair in bob at age 14 and that has been her signature look for all these years. She said in an interview with Barbara Walters that she knows it may be a bit boring but that she has tried to change it and it has "never worked."

{via Wikipedia}



5 comments:

KimberlyMDavis said...

What Channel was the documentary on? I would love to see it! Anna Wintour is one of my FAVORITE style icons, and such an inspiration.
Love this post!

Tatiana said...

She is very impressive. You've got to be in order to work for VOGUE especially for 20 yrs.

annechovie said...

Interesting, but if she's like the character in TDWP, I am glad I don't work for her! xx

Ms. Emmy N said...

Cool post! I have been intrigued by her since I saw Devil Wears Prada, as well... and who knew she's had that classic bob for so long?! Crazy!

Llama said...

WOW! I never knew all of that! What an amazing woman!